Tributes pour in for US Congressman John Robert Lewis... Relive his Speech at March to Washington 1963

         


John Robert Lewis, US Congressman died at the age of 80 on Friday. He was born in Alabama. He represented Georgia's 5th District for over 3 decades. More tributes pour in for this doyen of US civil right movement.

21 states are flying flags at half-staff for Rep. John Lewis. 
  • Alabama,Colorado,Connecticut,Georgia,Illinois,Indiana,Iowa,Kentucky,Maine,Maryland,
  • Michigan,Montana,Nebraska,New Jersey,North Dakota,Ohio,Rhode Island,Tennessee,
  • Texas,Washington,West Virginia.

New York Mayor, De Blasio
"I have to tell you that my family and I met John Lewis in December when he was last in New York City. And if you want to think about a saint who walked among us, a man who did so much to change this nation, and never stopped. He told us what it was like as a young man growing up with hatred and discrimination around him and how he never let it defeat him, and he kept working until the age of 80 to change this country for the better. He knew it could change and it must change. Let’s remember the power of John Lewis," De Blasio said.


Opray Winfred:

"Last week when there were false rumors of Congressman John Lewis’ passing, Gayle [King] and I called and were able to speak with him. He sounded weak but was surprisingly more alert than we expected," Winfrey tweeted.

"I had a final chance to tell him what I’ve said every time I’ve been in his presence: 'Thank you for your courage leading the fight for Freedom. My life as it is would not have been possible without you.'"

            He was the bridge: John Lewis, the vital link from MLK to BLM ...

President Barack Hussein Obama

"I first met John when I was in law school, and I told him then that he was one of my heroes. Years later, when I was elected a U.S. Senator, I told him that I stood on his shoulders," Obama wrote following Lewis' death. "When I was elected President of the United States, I hugged him on the inauguration stand before I was sworn in and told him I was only there because of the sacrifices he made."
Obama said Lewis "never stopped providing wisdom and encouragement to me" and former first lady Michelle, and their family. "We will miss him dearly," he said.
       CNN to make documentary on civil rights icon John Lewis - ABC News
Jim Clyburn Congress man 
I was prepared for this," Clyburn said of his "personal friend" and colleague. "But nevertheless, it is something that gives you a strange emptiness. Knowing full well that I will return to Washington, I won't see him, and I will never get to sit with him again."
President Donald Trump:
Saddened to hear the news of civil rights hero John Lewis passing. Melania and I send our prayers to he and his family.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alan Sugar causes racism row with his sand beach tweet and replied his critics to go to hell

Nigeria Central Bank Governor Breached The Quarantine To Fly Family To The UK

The former King of Spain leaves the country over alleged corruption